Fully funded Room in Roof/Attic Room Insulation and Renovation
What is Room-in-roof (RIR) insulation?
A Room-in-roof is a converted loft or attic, accessible by a permanent staircase. Insulating this space is an effective way of reducing your energy bills and creating a more comfortable living space.
What are the Benefits?
Room-in-roof insulation is one of the best options if your property requires a lot of heating in winter and is very hot in the summer. Many existing room-in-roofs are either poorly insulated or not at all, losing on average 25% of their heat through the roof.
Room-in-roof insulation can make a significant impact both on the energy efficiency of the property, as well as the comfort of the room itself.
How does it work?
Room-in-roof (RIR) insulation typically takes one to two weeks to install. There are three main types of insulation commonly used in roof conversions, which are rigid insulation, flexible insulation and thermal lining boards. Rigid insulation boards are available in various thicknesses. Flexible insulation and thermal lining boards, though thinner and cheaper, are not as effective as rigid insulation boards but can be a good compromise in difficult to insulate and small areas where the size of the room may become reduced as a result of adding thick insulation materials to walls and roof.
In addition, our assessors look at the full envelope of your property, ensuring that it is fully ventilated to prevent a build up of moisture. This will provide a constant flow of fresh air to the inside of your home without losing any heat.
How do I qualify?
To qualify, you must meet the following criteria:
- Own a property in York.
- Own a property with a room-in-roof (room in the attic accessible via a fixed staircase, with a window)
- Have a household income of less than £30,000 OR receive some form of government benefit (such as pension credit, child benefit, child tax credit or universal credit)
Roof in Roof Insulation - WHAT TO EXPECT
After the initial visit to register interest in the scheme we will carry out 2 surveys; a technical survey for the measurements and then retrofit assessment for compliance
- All survey information will be sent to the local authority for approval.
- Once approved you will receive a call to book in the installation, as discussed, this work is free for homeowners! It is fully funded by your Local Authority/Better Homes Yorkshire.
- Customer will need to clear rooms to enable works to commence.
- Prior to installation taking place your floors will be covered with a flooring protector from the front door, up to and including the Room in Roof itself.
- If enabling works are required (electrics or radiators) this will be done before the boarding commences.
- Installation of insulation
- Sloping walls to be over boarded with insulated backed PIR board.
- Dwarf / Stud walls, either over boarded with insulated backed PIR board, or access gained behind and 95mm EcoBatt insulation with netting, subject to survey.
- Gable Ends to be over boarded with insulated backed PIR board.
- Flat Ceilings / Residual areas, either over boarded with insulated backed PIR board, or access gained behind and Loft Roll insulation used, at subject to survey.
- Party walls do not always require insulating, it will be at the discretion of the surveyor as to what work is required/approved.
- Any access holes created to be made good.
- All boarded areas to be skimmed.
- Skirting boards put back where possible or replaced with new. Square edge if full replacement, matched if partial replacement. Electrical points and radiators to be reinstated where applicable.
- Once plaster is dry, room painted white.
- Customer to sign handover documentation.
- Cleaners will visit to carry out a clean of the walkway from the front door to the Room in Roof and the Room itself.
- Warranties will be sent out via post/email.
- The installation is expected to take just 2-3 weeks to complete.
What do I do if I have any questions?
How can I contact you?
Please contact us via phone on 01422 414850 or fill out the form below;